A wild ride_ story of lehigh valley small amusement parks – sfgate

Bushkill Park co-owner Neal Fehnel opened the roller rink after months of work by volunteers. Francesca eastwood movies Fehnel said they are also working to fix up the fun house and rebuild the floor of the Whip, one of the park’s signature rides, with hopes to get the rest of the park operating again.

Harry Rinker, an area antiques and collectibles expert, captured the era in a 1992 column for The Morning Call: “A visit was a day’s adventure. Pitch diameter definition There was no general admission charge. El patio motel You bought a strip of ride tickets or paid individually at each ride.

“The principal attraction was the roller coaster, unless, of course, you were a hot-blooded teenager with a friend of the opposite sex, in which case the Tunnel of Love held much greater appeal. Pitch dark dragon There were a number of things at the arcade for a penny or nickel.”

The parks often were built by trolley car lines, which had brisk rider business during the week, but used excursions to the parks to fill its trains on weekends, said Jill Youngken, Lehigh County Historical Society’s assistant director and chief curator.

That was the case with Central Park, which opened as Rittersville Park in 1893 in a space off Hanover Avenue near what is now Westminster Village nursing home. Nba fantasy draft 2016 It was created by Allentown and Bethlehem Rapid Transit Co., the first electric street car between Allentown and Bethlehem.

“The public would see property,” Whelan said. Baseball field “The parks were created as a magnet to get people out into the country and sell them property. Little league baseball schedule It was quite common.”

Built on 40 acres, the park had a toboggan chute, carousel, derby racer, circle swing, Cyclone roller coaster and more. Football games on right now Youngken recalled her father talking of the derby racer — two sets of train cars that would race each other while full of passengers.

During the park’s heyday in the early 1900s through the 1920s, Sousa played at Central Park. Low maintenance landscaping The park even built two theaters — one seating 1,500 — to offer musicals. Outdoor voices instagram Central was the largest amusement park in the region until the emergence of Dorney Park.

Founded in 1860 as a small hatchery along the line of Reading Trolley Co., Dorney Park formally opened in 1884. Basketball wives la season 5 episode 3 In the 1920s, it added a roller coaster and began expanding on its large rural plot.

On the other hand, Central Park had no room to grow. Patchwork staccato Starting in 1932, Central was the scene of a series of fires — seven in 19 years before the park finally closed in 1951.

Another trolley line, Easton Transit Co. Lattice semiconductor opened Island Park in 1894. Pitch meaning in english It was built, as the name suggests, on an island near the Chain Dam in the Lehigh River — between Palmer Township on one side and Glendon and Williams Township on the other.

On Island Park’s opening day, 3,000 people climbed aboard the company’s trolleys in downtown Easton that took them to the park, which covered 15 to 20 acres. Slow pitch batting cages There, patrons rode a miniature Black Diamond train, a Ferris wheel, a merry-go-round, toboggan roller coaster and other rides.

Indian Trail Park along Route 248 near the Cherryville section of Northampton County opened in 1929, built around a large swimming pool. Fantasy football mock draft It offered 5-cent rides that included a carousel, miniature train and roller coaster on 20 acres.

The park’s owners sold it to Lehigh Township in 1973, which continued to operate it as an amusement park until 1983. Slow pitch softball rules It now is a township park with soccer and softball fields, and picnic pavilions.

Willow Park in the Butztown area of Bethlehem Township opened in 1931, also as a small park largely built around a swimming pool. Furrow irrigation advantages and disadvantages It had a carousel, kiddie rides, an arcade and a children’s “wild mouse” coaster.

The carousel from Island Park eventually moved to Bushkill Park, which opened in 1902. Landscape architecture portfolio It too was started by a trolley company. Softball pitching coaches near me In the years before it closed, it became known for its antique rides, including bumper cars, the Whip, a haunted house and Bar’l of Fun, one of the nation’s oldest fun houses.

Surrounded by Bushkill Creek, it was heavily damaged by floods during Hurricane Ivan in 2004, and closed for good in 2006 after three consecutive years of flooding.

What’s now known as Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom in South Whitehall Township has grown and is thriving. Hitting drills baseball It has eight roller coasters. Basketball games to play online Dorney is owned by Cedar Fair of Sandusky, Ohio, which operates 11 amusement parks across the country.

Dorney has claims to history. Indoor basketball courts near me open to the public Its 1921 Grand Carousel — just inside the entrance — is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Fantasy baseball news Its wooden Thunderhawk coaster is the eighth-oldest roller coaster in the United States. Planning a garden And Dorney is the fifth-oldest continuously operating amusement park in the United States, according to the National Amusement Park Historical Association.