Trenton historical society’s most recent picks for preservation _ mercerspace. com

The Trenton Historical Society (THS) recently released its list of “Top Preservation Opportunities” — an annual practice to keep the city’s historic architecture in the public eye and help stimulate the imagination for potential reuse.

While some of the choices are plain to see for many traveling through the city, others are less so. Beach landscape photography Yet all indicate the city’s rich history and future potentials.

Prominent among the familiar is the Mercer County Court House on South Broad and Market streets. Football games download According to THS, the 1904 Beaux Arts sandstone building with pediments, columns, and arches is “one of the best known buildings in Mercer County.” Now vacant and closed, the “property’s prominent location adjacent to several county and state offices makes it a prime candidate for office reuse. Front porch building plans In addition to its substantial masonry construction, the building offers significant architectural detail and interior spaces not found in modern office space.”

Trenton Savings Fund Society at 125 East State Street is another Beaux Arts-style building completed in 1901 by New York architects Moweray and Affinger.


Backyard baseball 2007 THS calls the white granite and steel structure “one of Trenton’s most beautiful buildings. Pavers boots clearance An equally distinguished classical vocabulary was used on the building’s interior, intended to give all who did business there a sense of pride and security.”

In addition to decisions to cover the central banking room’s stained glass ceiling with acoustic tiles, the vacant building has been further compromised by “deterioration, neglect, and vandalism.” THS sees the prominent downtown property being restored as a banking facility or reused for a retail or office space.

Trenton Psychiatric Hospital at 7717 Stuyvesant Avenue is difficult to miss and occupies much of the institution’s approximately 100-acre campus with the grounds spilling into Ewing. Football teams playing today It was initiated in 1848 by reformer Dorothea Dix and includes “an extensive campus with large, primarily stone buildings constructed from the mid-19th throughout the 20th century, amid beautifully landscaped grounds. Football player logo team quiz game answers Noted Philadelphia architect John Notman and nationally significant landscape designer Andrew Jackson Downing were responsible for the property’s original plan.” Trenton State Hospital

While some of the buildings are still being used by the hospital, the original buildings are no longer in use and are deteriorating. Landscaping costs per square foot THS suggests that the “solidly constructed buildings in a park-like setting” can follow models in other states and be “transformed into a community with housing, shops, restaurants, and preserved open space.”

Prospect Street Presbyterian Church on the corner of Prospect and Spring streets was built in 1875. Softball backgrounds “The randomness and sharp angularity of the building marks it as a late, sophisticated Gothic Revival. Basketball wives season 5 episode 2 The area was once an affluent part of town, north of the city center, but changing demographics affected the neighborhood,” says THS.

Still active as a church until 2007, the vacant building now belongs to the City of Trenton. Football field clipart THS notes that the building would benefit another church group or even a performing arts organization. Baseball drills for kids Reuse of the building as a residential space is also mentioned.

Two branches of the Trenton Free Public Library are also on the current list. Little league baseball scorekeeping app The first is the Skelton Library at 943 South Broad Street. Softball field layout The 1929 two-story, Colonial Revival-style brick building — with Muller mosaic tiles around a fireplace — was designed by the prominent Trenton architecture firm P.L. Pitch angle wind turbine Fowler Company. Softball rules It has been vacant since 2010 when all city library branches were closed because of funding. Driveway sealer drying time THS says the building’s location in a commercial district and open floor plan would benefit a community organization and business.

The other is the East Trenton Branch Library, aka Samuel Dickinson House, at 701 North Clinton Avenue. Fencing olympics The small building reflects Trenton’s long history. Football teams by state As THS notes, “this two-story, (ornamental plastered) stone building was built c.1796 as the home of Samuel Dickinson. Garden state park Located on a 225-acre tract of land, the house was located more than a mile from Trenton at the time of its construction. Michigan softball coach As the city’s development encroached on the property in the mid-19th century, the building took on new commercial and public uses. Facebook desktop version android In 1926, it became the East Trenton Branch of the Trenton Free Public Library.

The building was completely rehabilitated in 1933 with funding through the Civil Works Administration, a Depression-era New Deal program. High pitch eric howard stern The work included a Colonial Revival interior that featured a large first-floor reading room and a two-story, wrap-around addition.” Listed on both the State and National Historical Registries, the building also has been vacant since 2010. Basketball teams in california Although THS estimates the cost of repairs at $500,000, it sees the building as ideal for a community space or an office for a nonprofit organization. Baseball field dimensions Prospect Street Presbyterian

Trenton Junior High School #1 at 800 Martin Luther King Boulevard is, THS writes, “a notable institution, with its elaborate Collegiate Gothic stone detailing and its imposing structure. Ny yankees spring training 2016 It was built in 1916 as part of a comprehensive school system reorganization, in which Trenton led the state in establishing junior high schools for its students.” Trenton architect W.A. Diy outdoor furniture plans Poland’s design included two gymnasiums, 18 classrooms, 4 laboratories, a library, an auditorium, and exterior Muller tiling.

Although modernized, the building next to a new elementary school is vacant, and, according to THS, could be adapted for a variety of residential uses, including affordable or senior housing.

The Higbee Street School at 20 Bellevue Avenue is a brick Greek Revival building constructed in 1857 as “the first school built for the free public education of African American children in the City of Trenton. Wyevale jobs The building itself was a departure from previous schools. Baseball practice plans It followed design concepts of 19th century education reformers and is probably one of the first African American schools to embody those innovations.”

An important representative of African-American history in Trenton, it is also listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. Pitched roof design THS says the vacant property is structurally sound, was given a new roof, and has large and adaptable interiors spaces that could accommodate a school, day care, or even a museum.

One of the less obvious buildings is the residence at 320 Spring Street. Hardscapes tulsa The 1902 brick building’s institutional name was the Widows’ and Single Women’s Home Society that has community-type living accommodations for 27 individuals, an infirmary, living room, and dining room. Stardock fences key Currently empty and deteriorating, the building would be “ideal” for apartments, condominiums, or even a school dormitory.

The Horsman Doll Factory fills an entire block bounded by Grand, Chestnut, Elm, and Adeline streets, one block from South Broad. Baseball games online The factory built in the 1930s was once one of the largest doll factories in the country and employed more than 800. Fantasy football team names reddit The factory stopped operating in the 1960s, and the two three-story brick buildings have been vacant for a decade. Canadian olympic basketball team 2016 roster “These handsome buildings are structurally sound and offer enormous market-rate redevelopment potential” and “preservation-minded builders could consider loft-style condominiums and apartments in this former factory,” THS writes.

And finally, on a small road off West State Street, there is the General Philemon Dickinson House — aka the Hermitage — on 46 Colonial Avenue. Fastest softball pitch It was built before the Battle of Trenton and purchased in 1776 by Philemon, who was the commander in chief of the New Jersey Militia. Football scores espn Over the years the home was visited by such historic figures as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, John Witherspoon, Joseph Bonaparte, and others. Fantasy football yahoo app Its exterior was remolded in the mid-19th century, and in 1905 the house was subdivided into apartments.

THS says that its current seven apartment units “appear to be in serviceable condition.” It calls the building listed on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places an “important piece of Trenton’s history” that goes virtually unnoticed. Minecraft fence gate It is also a “prime candidate for an upscale rehabilitation,” and its renewal “could revitalize the entire area” of “one of the most distinctive streetscapes in Trenton.”

All materials are found on open spaces of a network the Internet as freely extended and laid out exclusively in the fact-finding purposes. If you are what lawful legal owner or a product and against its placing on the given site, inform us and we will immediately remove the given material. The administration of a site does not bear responsibility for actions of the visitors breaking copyrights. abuzesite@bigmir.net